Library Science is an interdisciplinary field
which comprises the study of the principles and practices of Library
Administration. Library Science is also referred as Library and Information
science. Bachelor of Library Science is an Academic Degree awarded for a course
or program in Library Science. Indian Library Association is a premier
association committed to the cause of Library Movement and Development. It is
also responsible for accreditation of institutions imparting Library and
Information Science education and training and promotion of Library Science
Education and the improvement in the training of Libraries in India. Library
Science Courses are mostly focused on providing knowledge of the principles and
practices of classical Library Science along with the current technologies
applied to these processes.
Duration - The duration of B.Lib. is 1 year including number of semesters which are mostly 2 in number. Semesters may vary from Institution to Institution.
Eligibility - To purse a Library Science Degree, a candidate needs to have Bachelor's Degree in any discipline form a recognised Institution. Percentage requirement varies from Institute to Institute. Age Limit also varies from Institute to Institute. Some Distance Learning Institutes put no Age Limit in pursuing the Bachelor's Degree in Library Science.
There are various Library Science Colleges which offer graduate degree in Library Science in India. Makhanlal Chaturvedi National University Institute of Journalism (Bhopal) provides a? 3 year, Bachelor of Library and Information Technology (Hons) course, open to students who have passed the 10+2 examination. B.Lib. can also be pursued through Distance Learning programs offered by various Indian Institutions.
List of some of the Institutes providing B.Lib.Sc. courses through Distance Learning programs:
- Annamalai University.
- Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University.
- Global Open University.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- Nalanda Open University.
B.Lib.Sc. or B.L.I.Sc. ?
In India, Library Science Degree programs are known with various terms like B.Lib., B.Lib.Sc. or B.L.I.Sc. All these terms stand for Bachelor of Library Science or Bachelor of Library and Information Science. There is no difference in them. B.Lib. is the most popular amongst these as it is convenient to pronounce. There are very few Institutes which call their Library Science Programs as B.L.I.Sc.
Is B.Lib. or B.Lib.Sc., an Undergraduate or Post graduate Degree ?
- As with many other Academic Degrees, B.Lib. is also confusing when it comes to categorising it as an Under Graduate or Post Graduate Degree. If we consider the title 'Bachelor' it should be an Under Graduate Degree but if we look at the Eligibility of the Course, it should be a Post Graduate Degree.
- But if we look at the history, we get an idea of what actually this degree is, irrespective of the title it has been given. According to University of Calcutta, in 1943, the Inter University Board of India resolved that graduates of any stream would be eligible for admission to the Librarianship courses conducted by the Indian Universities. It was decided that the University will institute a Diploma course in Librarianship every year. During the 1969-1970 session the Diploma was replaced by Post Graduate Degree of Bachelor of Library Science (B.Lib.Sc).
- However, at the same time we also have M.Lib., which happens to be a Post Graduate Degree. This is a conflicting scenario created by the Education Department of India, which is unable to properly classify the order of Degrees. So unless the Department sorts out this,? we need to understand, that in practical sense it is a type of Diploma with the coating of a Bachelor's Degree Status.
Bachelor of Library Science Subjects / Topics
- Library & Society.
- Library Management.
- History of Library and Information Science.
- Cataloguing and Classification.
- Digital Libraries.
- Modern Library Services.
- Emerging Issues in Library System.
Some Institutes require B.Lib. students to
prepare a Thesis before appearing in the final B.Lib. Examination.
Note : Subjects / Topics may vary from Institute to Institute.
Bachelor of Library Science Specialisations
There are no Specialisations at the Bachelors Level.
Who can and Who should pursue Bachelor of Library Science Degree
This Degree is especially meant for those who have a basic interest in books as well as a variety of topics, good communication skills, customer service attitude, methodical approach, organizing skills, and ability of understanding user needs.
Advantages or Benefits of Bachelor of Library Science Degree
- One can pursue advanced Library Science Degree Programs with Bachelor degree in Library Science, example Masters Degree in Library Science.
- Those who Love Books can make their Love, a profession as well. There are very few of us who can actually pursue what we actually love.
of Library Science Jobs
Librarianship is a growing field, which has attained the status of a separate discipline. Apart from the Government Universities, various Foreign and Private Universities have come up to fulfil the needs of Book lovers and casual readers. To cater to their needs and smoothen the functioning of Libraries, there is a need for those skilled in Librarianship.
- Deputy Librarian.
- Director / Head of Information Centre.
- Junior Librarian / Semi-Professional Assistant.
- Junior Librarian / Professional Assistant.
- Junior Librarian / Assistant Librarian.
- Junior Information Analyst.
- Library Assistant.
- Library Attendant.
- Senior Information Analyst.
- Companies and Organisations with large Information handling requirements.
- Foreign Embassies.
- Information Centres / Documentation Centres.
- Museums and Galleries with Reading Rooms and Research Facilities.
- News Agencies and Organisations.
- Public / Government Libraries.
- Universities and other Academic Institutions.
- Photo/ Film Libraries.
- Private Organisations and Special Libraries.
B.Lib. - B.Lib.Sc. Courses in India
Bachelor of Library and Information Science (B.Lib.I.Sc.)