Civil Service Examination is conducted by UPSC by every year in 3 stages.
- CSP � Civil Service Preliminary Examinations � during second half of May
- Main � Civil service Examination, during the month of October /
November. Those who are selected in the preliminary examination only one
eligible to appear.
- Interview � Those who are selected in the Main Examination will be
eligible to appear before the Interview board at New Delhi.
Priliminary Examination (cip)
(2 COMPULSORY PAPERS)
|(Each 2 hours duration)|
|Multiple choice Question|
|Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAI)|
A new syllabus is introduced for Civil Service Apptitude Test (CSAT) in the
place of Civil Service (Preliminary) Examination.
In CSAT, one of the optional subjects which a candidate could have chosen out of
23 optional has been replaced will common paper on Aptitude Test.
(I Stage of Civil Service Exams)
PAPER � I����� 200 Marks�����
Duration : 2 hours
- Current events of National and Interrelated Importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography � physical, social, Economic Geography of
India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance � constitution, political system, panchayat
Raj, public policy, Rights, Issues etc.
- Economic and social Development � sustainable Development , poverty,
inclusion, demographics, social sector initiation etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio Diversity and climate
changes that do not require subject specialization
- General science.
PAPER II����� 200 MARKS�����
Duration : 2 hours
- Interprovisional skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Reason making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic Numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitudes etc),
- (class X level), Date Interpretation. (charts, graphs, tables, data
sufficiency etc � class X level)
- English language, comprehension skills ( class X level)
- Questions relating to English language comprehension skills of class X (
last item in the syllabus of Paper II) will be tested through passages from
English language ony without providing Hindi Translation through in question
Only those who are declared qualified by UPSC. In the preliminary Examination
in a year, are eligible for the Main Examination of that year, provided they are
otherwise eligible for the Main Examination
Application Procedure : Stated in the Preliminary Exam
Structure of the Exam
|Two optional subjects (2 papers each 300 marks) 4*300|
|One general studies (2 papers each 300 marks) 2*300|
|One essay (200 marks) 1*200 = 200|
Objective of the Main Exam
The main examination is meant to assess the overall intellectual abilities
and the depth of understanding of the candidates. Mere knowledge of information
and capacity of memory may not be sufficient. Enough choice for choosing the
questions will be given.
Name Of The Optional Subjects For The Main Examinations (Duration 3 Hrs)
- Animal husbandry and veterinary sciences
- Civil engineering
- Commerce and accountancy
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Medical sciences
- Political science and international relations
- Public administration
Not Permissible Combinations
The following combinations among the optional subjects are not permitted to
be chosen by the candidates.
- Political science & international relations and public administrations
- Commerce and management
- Anthropology and sociology
- Maths and statistics
- Agriculture & animal husbandry and veterinary science
- Management and public administration
- Animal husbandry & veterinary science and medical science
- Any two branches of engineering
- Combination of two literatures
- Two folds vacancies are called to appear before UPSC board.
- The total marks for 16 interviews is 300 marks
- Interviews calls are sent on the basis of minimum marks fixed by UPSC
- The overall ranking is done based on the main exam(2000 marks) and
interview (300 marks). So the total marks for ranking is 2300 marks.
- Qualifying examination : preliminary exam
- Main exam : 2000 marks
- Interview : 300 marks
- Total 2300 marks
Candidates are allotted various services keeping in view their ranks in the
examination and preferences given by them in the main application form.
if a person fails in either in mains or interviews, he/she has to appear once
again from the preliminary stage.