Fine Arts in terms of academics, is the study and creation of visual works of
art. Visual works of Arts can be in the form of painting, sculpture, dance,
theatre, architecture, photography etc. Bachelor of Fine Arts is an
Undergraduate Academic Degree awarded in the course or a program in the field of
Fine Arts. It is popularly known as BFA or BVA which is an abbreviated form of
the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree or Bachelor of Visual Arts degree. Both are one
and the same thing. Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree Course in it's initial year
includes drawing, painting, figure drawing, portraiture, watercolour, art-making
concept development, art history critique etc.
Duration - BFA is an integrative course having duration of 4 years.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree can be pursued by those candidates who have successfully completed their HSC (10+2) examinations in any stream from a recognised board.
- Though there are no entrance test for the Bachelor of Fine Arts course but a few Institutes do conduct these.
- BFA Institutes may also conduct an Aptitude Test and on the basis of the test the final decision for admission is made.
- Most of all the Institutions offering BFA, have a Foundation Course which involves the 1st year. In the first year all the subjects of Visual Arts or Fine Arts available are taught.
- The 2nd year marks the beginning of the the 3 years Specialization Course. Based on the credits obtained in the 1st year, the 3 years Specialization Course is done.
For a list of Fine Art School and Bachelor of Fine Arts Colleges in India.
Fine Art Courses are also provided through Correspondence or Distance Education
by various Institutions. Two amongst these are - School of Open Learning in
Delhi University and Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), Delhi
provide fine arts courses in correspondence
Bachelor of Fine Arts Subjects
Bachelor of Fine Arts Subjects vary depending upon one's choice of specialisation.
Bachelor of Fine Arts Specialisations
- Graphic Designing.
Who can and Who should pursue Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree
- As the term, Fine Arts goes, there is no doubt that this field is meant only and only for Artists or people with Artistic Skills in any of the Visual Arts. Some people are not good at conventional degree which are normally pursued but they might have a strong hand in Visual Arts. One should be radical in their ideas and at the same time be practical enough to create original, inspiring work.
- Candidates who have a natural interest for Visual Arts or natural skills such as sketching, drawing and visualization are perfectly suited for pursuing this degree. Those who really enjoy creating and imagining and are interested enough to carve a strong niche in the field of performing or visual arts should absolutely go for this one.
- There are some who do have a strong liking for Visual Arts but are all ready involved in another occupation or there are some who did have the skill but it got buried by the requirement of acquiring a conventional degree as per the trend. Those who want to rekindle their hidden or buried talent can follow their heart with BFA.
Advantages or Benefits of Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree
- After successfully completing BFA, one can pursue a Masters degree in Fine Arts i.e, M.F.A. (Master in Fine Arts) or M.V.A.(Master in Visual Arts).
- The degree helps a student to develop an overview of the Fine Arts industry.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts programme prepares the students for establishing a career in the field of visual communication and performing arts.
Bachelor of Fine Arts Jobs
After completing B.V.A. from any private or government Institution, a candidate can join in a school as an art teacher, as a photographer or as an artist in government offices. A graduate can also start a career as freelance workers and go for direction, photography, television, clothing and fashion. One can also start as art directors for magazines, on-line services, software companies, publishing houses, manufacturers, advertising, promotion and product design.
- Art Studios.
- Advertising Companies.
- Educational Institutes.
- Fashion Houses.
- Publishing Houses.
- Tailoring Shops.
- Television Industry.
- 3d Artist.
- Art Critic.
- Art Teacher.
- Art Director.
- Creative Director.
- Drawing Teacher.
- Furniture Designer.
- Freelance Workers.
- Graphic Artist / Designer.
- Music Teacher.
- Production Artist.
- Senior Graphic Designer.
- Sr. Art Director.
- Set Designer.
BFA - BVA Courses in India
- B.A. (History of Fine Arts)
- B.A. (Hons.) (Fine Arts)
- B.A. (Visual Arts)
- B.F.A. B.F.A. (Applied Arts)
- B.F.A. (Digital Graphics Technology)
- B.F.A. (Drawing & Painting)
- B.F.A. (Graphics)
- B.F.A. (History of Art)
- B.F.A. (Hons.) (Mural)
- B.F.A. (Hons.) (Painting)
- B.F.A. (Painting)
- B.F.A. (Photography)
- B.F.A. (Print Making and Graphics Design)
- B.F.A. (Sculpture)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts - BFA (Film + Media)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts ? BFA (Animation + VFX)
- Bachelor of Visual Arts (BVA)
- M.A. (Film + Media)
- M.B.A. (Film + Media Management)