IIMS - Indian Institute of Maritime studies Entrance Exam acronym as IIMS Entrance Exam �(IIT- JEE) is held� for the selection of candidates for admission to the 3 - year course leading to
- B.Sc. (Nautical Sciences) Degree at T. S. Chanakya, Navi Mumbai,
- 4-year Marine Engineering Degree at Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata and
- 3-year Polyvalent B.Sc. (Maritime Sciences) Degree at Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai, �for the session commencing in August.
Important:There will be no separate Entrance Examination for admission to the above training institutes and only those candidates who have qualified in IIT-JEE Examination (Not required for foreign nationals seeking admission under reserved quota seats) will be called for counseling in the month of July/August.
IIMS Entrance Exam Eligibility
Candidates must have passed (10 + 2) examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English.
Candidates appearing for these Engineering Entrance Exams shall not be older than 25 years on 01st October of the respective year. For S.C and S.T candidates there is a relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit.
- Candidates should be mentally & physically fit for sea life.
- The candidates should note that, for joining T.S.Chanakya and Polyvalent B.Sc. (Maritime Sciences) normal vision of 6/6 is essential for each eye separately and those wearing glasses will not be eligible for admission.
- Whereas in the case of MERI Kolkata, glasses will be allowed up to plus or minus 2.5.Un-aided vision should be 6/12 in both eyes minimum or 6/9 in the good eye and 6/12 in the other eye at least. Defective colour vision is a disqualification for all the 3 courses.
However for complete information regarding Medical standards the applicants have to take application form along with information brochure giving the details.
How to apply for IIMS Entrance Exam?
All Indian Nationals seeking admission to the above mentioned institutes must fill up the application form for IIT-JEE and a separate application form issued by Indian Institute of Maritime Studies.
The application forms can be obtained from the following designated branches of Syndicate Bank all over India on payment of Rs.300 (General / OBC category) and Rs.200 (in case of SC/ST category)
How many seats are there in the various IIMS?
There are 156 seats available in T.S.Chanakya, Navi Mumbai, 208 in MERI, Kolkata and 39 in MERI, Mumbai. Out of these 10 seats are reserved for foreign nationals in T.S. Chanakya, MERI, Kolkata and MERI, Mumbai for which the details can be directly obtained from Indian Institute of Maritime Studies.
However out of these seats 15% are reserved for SC candidates, 7.5% for ST candidates & 18% are reserved for OBC candidates belonging to non-creamy layer.
There are total 10 seats available for direct admission of foreign nationals to these institutes.
They need not appear for IIT-JEE 2010 Examination. The application form for direct admission of foreign nationals may be obtained from IIMS on payment of US$ 100 by bank draft drawn in favour of Indian Institute of Maritime Studies payable at Mumbai.
Designated branches of the Syndicate Bank from where forms can be obtained are:
- West Zone: Ahmedabad (Ashram Road Branch), Bhilai, Bhopal, Fort, Mumbai, Gwalior, Indore (Main Rajwada Chowk Branch), Jaipur (M.I. Raod Branch) Nagpur (Gandhi Bagh Main Branch), Pune (Laxmi Road Branch), Thane (Naupada Branch), Udaipur.
- North Zone: Amritsar, Allahabad (Cantonment), Bareilly (Civil Lines Branch), Chandigarh, Dehradun, Gurgaon (Cantonment), Jammu, Kanpur, Lucknow Main (Aminabad), Meerut (Main),New Delhi (Nehru Place Branch), Patiala (Main), Varanasi (Main).
- East Zone: Bokaro Steel City, Bhubaneswar (Main), Kolkata (N.S. Road), Dhanbad, Jamshedpur, Muzaffarpur, Port Blair, Patna, Ranchi, Rourkela.
- South Zone: Anantapur, Bangalore (Gandhinagar), Chennai (Mount Road), Kochi (Kochi-Kotinukulam Road Main Branch), Hyderabad (N.S.Road), Trivandrum (Tiruvananthapuram State Junction, Visakhapatnam (Main Suryabagh).
IIMS 2012 application and Information broucher can be taken from
Indian Institute of Maritime Studies,
T.S. Chanakya Campus,
Karave, Nerul, Navi,
Mumbai - 400 706.
By sending a self addressed stamped envelope 11" x 5" size with stamp worth Rs.55 alongwith a DD of Rs.300 (General / OBC Category) and Rs.200 (in the case of SC/ST category) drawn in favour of Indian Institute of Maritime Studies and payable at Mumbai.